Tuesday, March 15, 2005

What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last night, I know that makes me a Hunter S. Thompson bandwagon jumper, but at the same time I saw the movie in theatres back in 1998 and I haven't watced it since. So in the words of Raphael...
gimme a break.
Watching it made me really happy because the characterization of Hunter S. Thompson that Johnny Depp performs was one that became an adopted personality of a good friend of mine back in high school. For privacy's sake let's call him Dean R.
No, wait, that's too obvious, D. Register. Anyway D.A. (as he liked to be called) was so tickled by this film that his speech patterns and mannerisms began to mimic that of Raoul Duke in the film, which I guess is Hunter S. Thompson. Anyway the pont of all this is, it made me think of D.A. and what a kind, funny, and thoroughly entertaining friend he was. Plus anytime a movie touches someone the way it touched him always makes me smile. I hope D.A.'s okay now, I wish him the best and hopefully we'll meet again someday. It's a good movie too, especially since it features an amazing cameo performance by King Busey himself. Plus Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are spectacular as usual.

Two television items that begin soon...
Project Greenlight, the only reality show that works and isnt' "bad for your soul." Granted, the show is always ten times better than the movie it produces but still, it is consistently entertaining. That starts tonight on Bravo at 9pm but this will probably be the last season of it, so check it out if you have the chance.

And starting next monday, the thrilling Second Volume of the Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network. Not to be outdone, the First Volume comes out on DVD next tuesday as well. If you are interested and haven't seen the series yet, borrow it from me when I get them and watch it, please, I'm begging you. If you've ever wanted to see Mace Windu dispatch an entire Battle Droid army SANS lightsaber, this is probably the only place you will ever have the chance. And I imagine there's a lot of you out there. I'll do a more thorough write up of the two volumes when I get to watch them next week. Until then, keep watching the skis...I mean skies.

66 days until May 19th, 2005

This is probably over-doing it a bit, but if you read my ROTS trailer reaction, that is to be expected.
D.A. made me think of this, even though we were never in prison together, you get the idea.

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."


p.s. the incredibles came out on DVD today and since I'm shamelessly plugging several other products, why stop now? And while the incredibles is amazing, please do yourself a favor and watch Brad Bird's first film The Iron Giant. Actually now that I think about it, the people reading this blog have probably already seen it. But if by some sick twist of fate you haven't seen it, please do because you might even say it's Iraqi. I mean, incredible.

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

Now that's the god damn truth!