Saturday, March 12, 2005

How many gazebos do you she-males need?

I guess I overdid it on the last post about the ROTS trailer, but hey, I wanted to give you all my gut reaction and that was it. That was exactly how I felt, no filter, no hiding my stupid geek reaction to it all. I wanted the triple truth ruth. I was thinking about it some more and after watching it two more times, once on the big screen (i'll get to that later), I was thinking about how I felt after the episodes I and II trailers. Granted those were great, and I love both of those movies (Jake Lloyd aside) but this one, episode III, hit me on an emotional level that I feel is the core of these great movies. Yes all of the space fights and samurai lightsaber moves are amazing, but what keeps me coming back to sit down and watch over and over again is the story of the family. Watching this Skywalker clan tear itself apart only to be triumphantly re-united and ultimately re-deemed, is perhaps the reason why my two favorite scenes are when Vader reveals himself to Luke at the end of empire (obvious choice) and then when he reveals himself again only to thank Luke for saving his life and to "tell your sister...you were right, you were right about me." One of my favorite lines in the entire trilogy. That is the core of what makes this entire saga my personal favorite story ever put on film, and I feel that Episode III directly taps into those feelings only now it's the desctructive side of the skywalker family. So speaking of the big screen, i went to see the trailer with Robots last night, it's not the first time I've done that, hell I went to see Wing Commander for the Episode I trailer, if you don't remember wing commander, you need to look it up right now, immediately, stop reading and go rent it. Robots was okay, it didn't reach the depths of Be Cool bad, it looked nice and some of the visual humor was entertaining. There's just something about all non-pixar 3-D animated movies that feels so hollow and forced. I know it's unfair to compare everything to Pixar, but at the same time, they set the standard so high and you'd figure these other companies would be fired up to try and top that, but I guess not. Also, as one of my friends asked, "so they wiped out all the humans and created this utopian robot society like in the matrix?" The more I think about it, this really was just a sequel to the matrix, except the robots won.

69 days left until May 19th, 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What the hell is a star wars? Nah! I'm just kidding. What is it a bus or something?