Friday, March 18, 2005

Walter, just stand outside so Chief can translate my Iraqi ass map... okay?

Reading online today that George Lucas plans to re-release the original Star Wars trilogy (and I guess the prequels) in 3-D for the 30th anniversary in 2007. Man, oh man oh chevitz...this is incroyable, I must say. Now I will admit that I was once hesitant about 3-D because it just always struck me as a gimmick, something you can enjoy for about 15 minutes (like the Muppets Movie at Disneyworld, or Honey I Squirted Goo on the Audience), then it just becomes hey let's see how much crap we can heave at the audience. I guess the key is to make a 3-D movie without trying to make a 3-D movie, like the Polar Express for example which was one of the most thrilling visual experiences of my life. Not to mention that 3-D technology has improved almost ten-fold since the days of even Spy Kids 3-D, especially with the integration of IMAX screens. I really hope this happens, just thinking about gives me chills, plus I'll have something to look forward to once Episode III comes out and the Post-Star Wars slump sets in, maybe this means it will never go away.

More Episode III tidbits for ya, I was reading online today that Lucas made a statement at the ShoWest presentation ceremony calling Episode III "Titanic in space." For those of you who know me, you might think this would enrage me, actually it's gotten me even more excited for if you read my reaction to the trailer, I had freaking tears in my eyes then, this is exactly what I want. A big epic tragedy wrapped up in Star Wars ass kicking, I need to stop reading this stuff, I'm gettin over-stimulated. The article is up on yahoo.com, Lucas even called the film a tear-jerker, that will piss off some of those heartless fan boys, me like much much.

Minor things, watched Three Kings again this morning, I was in a David O. Russell mood, really great film. One of the best anti-war films ever made, and it's also one of those movies where the more you watch it, the more you get out of it. You realize how intelligent a writer David O. Russell is, and how much research went into this depiction of Gulf War Part I. One of the other things I love about it is that it investigates all sides of the conflict, from the refugees, to Saddam's troops, the Iraqi characters in this film are not just stereotypical villians, they are like everybody else. Listening to Eddie Murphy and driving Infinity Convertibles, savaged by United States economic and cultural globalization. The funny thing is, this film is probably more important now than when it was released back in 1999, good thing they got it out then though because it probably would have been canned by any studio today. Russell is a truly original filmmaker, and after this, Flirting With Disaster, and I Heart Huckabees, definitely one of my favorites. Let's hope he doesn't take 5 more years to make another movie, in the meantime, I will watch Spanking the Monkey...you heard me.

Also, Pearl Jam's coming back soon, with their album, Ben Folds, Eels, and Kevin Devine, and countless others I'm sure, my ears will be every happy this spring.

Here's a bloopy for ya...

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... you're goddamn right I'm living in the fucking past!"

No comments: