Sunday, July 31, 2005

Sometimes good people do evil things.

It's a slow Sunday, I just watched A Simple Plan and I guess it's been a while since I've seen it because the movie really just rocked my socks. What a fucking heartbreaker, definitely sam raimi's best and most certainly billy bob and bill paxton best performacnces. What's so amazing about it is that you have these horrific and terrible things happening and you never once suspend disbelief. I imagine some people would but for me, throughout the film, I keep imagining to myself what would I do in that situation and anytime a movie creeps into your subconcious like that and makes you contemplate unspeakable things given the situation it makes for one damn poweful movie experience. Just so people know, that doesn't mean I am looking for an excuse to commit homicide or steal a bag of money I found in a crashed airplane. I just mean when you watch the film and understand the situation these people are in, you see that they are not acting out of malicious greed or homicidal insanity. They simply see murder, mayhem, and other forms of chaos as a means to an end, to them it's merely a process of rational thought. It's a very terrifying prospect seeing ordinary human beings do these things to each other, but that is probably what puts it above your average every day thriller like stealth for example. I remember seeing A Simple Plan and Affliction during the same winter of 1998, I think those two films single handedly turned me against winter for the rest of my life. Maybe its the uniform desolation that exists in those snow drenched towns or the fact that in both of those films, miserable people to miserable things to each other with no hope for salvation and not because they want to either. It's a shame because I used to love winter time, damn movies. Now I'm going to watch My Man Godfrey which the back of the dvd jewel case said is the definitive screwball comedy. I could use a laugh.

"Make it look like the bad guys did it, Hank."

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

Is simple plan based off of the band of the same name? If so I like it. How come there's no movie answer man? I want new shit. NOW!