Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Now Miss Leela, on the date in question, were you or were you not wearing a hoop skirt?

I remember the first time I met Elliott Smith- it was at a party in Portland, OR. He was telling me about a new band he was starting called Heatmiser, I remember him being shy, yet incredibly warm and funny. Afterward, every time I read an article about him or heard people speak of him, it colored him as a sad recluse, much like his music implied.

Elliott Smith's fragile, character-driven songs feature desperate people harboring sad illusions, substance addictions and aching longings; his lyrics seem to act as a sort of confessional for the troubles of friends and strangers. He sand as if he were in a constant state of feeling lost, which resonates with anyone who feels they lack a home. And that was the genius of Elliott Smith- he enveloped you and made you feel with him and never for him. Writing music that makes people truly ache is a rare talent, as it means you have given your soul to your art. I've never felt that assessment to be more accurate than when applied to Elliott Smith, a songwriter who was all soul, who was always searching, and who has hopefully found at last that elusive feeling of going home.

-some guy named Buddy Humberston

Note: I am not trying to suggest that I somehow see myself in elliott smith, that guy dealt with shit I could probably never dream of (knock on wood that is). But this was a really nice summary of his work and his music really kicks ass. Let's hope he's found some peace.

Good day to you.

No comments: