Thursday, May 12, 2005

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

I've been really lazy with this thing. Not only am I totally psyched for next wednesday because of Episode III, but also because i can stop writing in this thing. I should leave this to the professionals, I guess I'm not cut out for the fast paced blogging world.

Anyway, I've been reading the first few sentences of almost every fan site possible for Revenge of the Sith reviews. Generally, the word is positive, not a lot of enthusiasm, but like quiet applause you give to an opening act that you didn't really want to see but is giving you a good show. In other words, people who have lost faith in the series. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people of that persausion, people like or dislike movies for all kinds of reasons, who am I to judge? But I did run by something that really troubled me and somewhat correlates with my whole anti-fanboy stance. One review said something like, Lucas decided to take the new series on himself making every decision his own and not thinking of what was best for the series. Did I miss something here? Since when did a filmmaker's creative instincts not become his or her own? Since when did a matter of taste become what's best for the series? This really bothers me because it illustrates everything wrong with fan boy-dom, they take things SO personally. The way I see it, Lucas made some calls you don't agree with, do you know any better? I love star wars but if somebody offered me the chance to make a prequel trilogy that succesfully navigated the treacherous back story to one of the most beloved movie myths of our time, I would say thanks, but no thanks. I know, I certainly don't have the answers to what is best for the series, I just happened to agree with the approach Mr. Lucas has taken these past couple of years. And that's all I want from these fan boys, just say you didn't care for it, or you didn't agree, don't act like a stake has been driven into your heart, your all knowing fan boy piss and moan heart. I guess I'm biased and tired of hearing the term lucas apologist being thrown around. I'm also tired of these internet buffons brining me down off my star wars cloud, but maybe I should be. This may not be healthy. I'm just tired of people thinking star wars belongs to them and only them, it belongs to everyone. And as such, it will go in ways some of us don't like, and some of us like. I hope this made sense, I haven't written in this thing for a while, I think I'm a little rusty.

Less than a week now, I'm starting to think what it will be like tuesday morning, will it be pure exhiliration, or a desperate slug to the finish that will take forever. I'm thinking the former because everytime I get frustrated with how long it is taking this movie to come out, I remind myself that this is it, this is the last time. I better enjoy it. Also, the reason I said tuesday morning and not wednesday morning is because wednesday I'll probably be at the theatre all day. So if you want to give me a call that day while I'm waiting, you can remind yourself how pathetic you're not compared to me.

Also, I plan something special for the last blog, my review of ROTS. Get your game faces on for that one. Cause on May 19th, 2005 WE GO LIVE!!!!!

6 days until May 19th, 2005.

"So, in the end I'd like to say
That I'm a very thankful man
I tried to make the most of my situations
And enjoy what I had
I knew true love, and I knew passion
And the difference between the two
I had some regrets
But if I had to do it all again
Well, it's something I'd like to do"

Maybe I should have saved that one till the end, but what the hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ready are you? What know you of ready?