Thursday, May 19, 2005

insert line about circle being complete or the force is with us yet again....

I wasn't going to write this tonight, I haven't gotten a lot of sleep in the past two nights. And I waited outside of a movie theatre yesterday for almost 9 hours, surrounded by die hard star wars fans. In some cases grown men who had children left at home. Being in line initially had me frustrated, since for the second time we were not first in line. We lost out to some dudes who had been there since 8 am, so I wasn't exactly envious. I also felt a certain amount of disconnect from them because I feel like to be considered a "true" star wars fan, you need to have A) Seen them when you were at least 8 years old or around that age, which I didn't do. B) You need to be bitterly dissappointed with the first two prequel films, so much so that you have almost stopped liking the movies all together, the special editions are included in this term. and C) well, I don't really have a C. I am not ridiculing or demeaning any of these positions, I am simply postulating that I feel like I can't connect with star wars fans because I am part of the new generation. I like the prequels, I saw the special editions first, and I have no childhood memories to claim Mr. Lucas has raped me of. But I realized something as I was sitting in the theatre last night, I looked behind me and I saw a grown man sitting calmly in his seat clutching a prop lightsaber that had these glowing lights on it that looked really really cool. He looked so content and happy with the moment, his toy by his side, and I thought, this shouldn't be about differences. It doesn't matter who likes what, or who felt which film doesn't work etc. What matter is that everybody wants this series to be the best it possibly can, everybody finds comfort in the fact that this story can take us somewhere that makes us feel like that toy lightsaber is alive. I feel like all the fans and fan boys alike have hope for star wars, they just have different ways of showing it. It's nice to be a part of something like that.

Before I begin I will warn the millions of you out there that this review will be filled with many things spoiler. And if you havent seen it yet, please don't read beyond the first paragraph. Really I am warning you right now, run away.

For those of you worrying I might scurry off to dagobah to hang out with yoda if this movie didn't deliver, don't worry. I loved it, I'm sure that was a big shocker. I think there are moments in it that are the best of all six movies, Revenge of the Sith took to me places I didn't think a star wars film could. The Original Trilogy is forever changed, for the better I feel, and Star Wars still remains my favorite filmed story of all time. Read that as My favorite movie of all time.

You know what nevermind, I am too tired. I will give a much more detailed review after I get some shut eye and see the film again tomorrow. I wiill return, I promise.

4 comments:

Nathaniel said...

OK, so I've come to a conclusion. I want to see this "Star Wars" movie. But only on the condition that I go with you and see the digital cut when you come up on memorial day. Those are the only ways. Dan coming too would be good. I would need people there that are fans to help me understand everything. That is all I have to say. WHAT A SHOCKER!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nate wants to see Star Wars? He's not afraid of being contaminated by "nerds"? Did Homer simpson tell him to see it?
Anyways, back to Ethan. Just realized that you 1st saw SW in the special editions. oh man. Those were fun. I remember seeing Empire on a Tuesday night (front row) when I should've been at home doing homework. It's so cool to think that those re-releases made hardcore fans like you.

Anonymous said...

Ummm by my calculations, you've probably seen the movie 4 times by now. Where's the review? I don't want to spoil it for myself since I have yet to see it, but I do want to read what you think so I can get all excited.

Nathaniel said...

Yeah Boy-o! Where's the review? Shiver me timbers.