Sunday, October 02, 2005

Remember when we were kids, remember what we used to say to each other?

EXT. BENCH. DAY

Sammy and Terry sit on a bench near the bus stop. Terry's
backpack is by his side.

SAMMY
Do you need some cash for the bus?

TERRY
No, I got a few bucks... Aren't you
gonna be late for work?

SAMMY
Oh -- Yeah. That's OK.
(Pause)
Terry, I don't even know where you're
going.

TERRY
Oh, well, I didn't really have a
concrete plan yet. I have to go back
to Worcester and get my stuff...

SAMMY
Oh, are you gonna try to see that
girl?

TERRY
Well... Yeah... You know... Thought
maybe I'd try to show my face... Let
her brother have a crack at me...

SAMMY
What?

TERRY
No...

SAMMY
...I don't want anyone to have a
crack at you.

TERRY
I'm just kidding. I just thought...
Just thought I'd check up on her...
(Pause)
Anyway, after that, I don't really
know. I've been thinking about Alaska
a lot. I still got some friends out
there. I don't really know. Anyway,
I'll write you.

SAMMY
You will?

TERRY
Sure, Sammy. Of course I will. You
know that.

Pause.

SAMMY
What is gonna happen to you?

TERRY
Nothing too bad... But I gotta tell
you, I know things didn't work out
too well this time...

SAMMY
Well, Terry --

TERRY
...but it's always really good to
know that wherever I am, whatever
stupid shit I'm doing, you're back
at my home, rooting for me.

SAMMY
I do root for you.

She starts crying, and looks down.

TERRY
Come on, Sammy. Everything's gonna
be all right... Comparatively... And
I'll be back this way...

SAMMY
I feel like I'm never gonna see you
again...!

TERRY
Of course you will, Sammy. You never
have to worry about that.

SAMMY
Please don't go till you know where
you're going. Please...!

TERRY
I do know where I'm going. I'm going
to Worcester and I'm gonna try to
see that girl. And then depending on
what happens there, I thought I'd
try to see if there's any work for
me out West. And if there is, I'm
gonna head out there for the summer
and try to make some money. And if
there isn't, I'll figure something
else out. Maybe I'll stay around the
East. I don't know... I really liked
it in Alaska. It was really beautiful.
You just -- It made me feel good.
And before things got so messed up I
was doin' pretty well out there.
Seriously. But I couldn't stay here
long, Sammy: I don't want to live
here. But I'm gonna stay in touch.
And I'll be back. 'Cause I want to
see you and I want to see Rudy. I'll
come home for Christmas. How about
that? We'll have Christmas together.
(Pause)
Come on, Sammy. You can trust me...

Still looking down, Sammy shakes her head, tears leaking
down her cheeks.

TERRY
Come on, Sammy... Look at me... Look
at me...

She looks at him.

TERRY
Hey, Sammy... Remember when we were
kids, remember what we always used
to say to each other . . .?
(Pause)
Remember when we were kids?

SAMMY
Of course I do...!

She throws her arms around his neck. He pats her gently.

INT./EXT. BUS. DAY

The DOORS OPEN and Terry comes up the steps and into the
bus. Outside, Sammy watches him pay the driver and move
through the bus toward his seat. The BUS DOORS CLOSE.

EXT. BUS. CONTINUOUS

Sammy waves till the BUS DRIVES all the way down MAIN STREET,
turns a corner and is gone.

INT. BUS. CONTINUOUS

Terry, in his seat, turns forward and watches the view go
by. He smiles a little.

INT. SAMMY'S CAR (MOVING). DAY

The morning sunlight flickers through the windshield into
the car as Sammy drives along toward work. She passes the
TOWN HALL CLOCK and sees that it's 9:20.

She dries her damp cheek with a forearm and rolls down her
window to let the morning breeze blow through.

Squaring her shoulders a little, she drives through town at
a slow and easy pace.

9 comments:

Nathaniel said...

You can count on me. I WIN! THAT'S WHAT I DO. And I didn't even see that movie. Now guess this...

Bob: That's enough!

Bud: I thought I was allowed to defend myself.

Bob: You're not allowed to lie.

Bud: I'm not lying. You see those faces up there? They're no different than you. They just happen to see something inside themselves--

Mayor: I said that's enough.

Bud: I'll show you. Dad?

George: Yeah, Bud?

Bud: It's okay, Dad. Just listen for a sec. I know you miss her. I mean,you told me you did...but maybe it's not just the cooking or the cleaning...that you miss. Maybe it's something else. Maybe you can't even describe it. Maybe you only know it when it's gone. Maybe it's like there's a whole piece of you....that's missing too. Look at her, Dad. Doesn't she look pretty like that? Doesn't she look just as beautiful...as the first time you met her? You really want her back the way she was? Doesn't she look wonderful? Now, don't you wish you could tell her that?

KounterKlockwise said...

Plesantville. I only know that because Lydia watched/watches this movie and I am forced to remember dumb parts from it.

PS. You two are douchebags for seeing History of Violence without me. Douchebags!

Nathaniel said...

Yo. Explosions in the Sky....Bowery Ballroom...Dec. 11 or 12th...tickets on sale now....you decide.

KounterKlockwise said...

you guys are brothers. you live in the same city. you see each other on a regular basis. you both have cell phones. and yet you communicate through comments on your respective blogs? fascinating.

Ethan Carota said...

WE CAN'T POST ANYTHING ON YOUR FUCKING BLOG

THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!!

THIS HAS TO BE FIXED!!!

THAT'S WHY WE DO THIS!!!

YOU BROKE THE COVENANT!!!

YOU'RE ADDICTED TO CHAOS!!!!

(what's that from gezus)

Nathaniel said...

Hey Ethan, what did you think of Thumbsucker? Since we just saw it.

KounterKlockwise said...

ethan- i have no idea.
nate- you guys are still tools.

KounterKlockwise said...

dude, you suck. freakin' update this thing. you're worse than me. how about a paradise now review or something. c'mon, i'm bored here.

Nathaniel said...

I agree. We haven't talked in a while.