Tuesday, August 16, 2005

i've got reservations about so many things, but not about you.

So the new Sigur Ros record has officially been bumped up to must come out right now status on my anticipation alert level. I heard the first single Saeglopur today and I think the country of Iceland should officialy change it's name to Rockland because of its mythic association to the Ros's. I don't know how they do it, and I probably don't want to know but these guys can make record fuzz sound like a beautiful, melodic instrumental interlude. Everything within a five block radius of this album should be blown out of the water upon it's release. They'll need to put it in a special section, quarantined from everything else so as to insure the other albums' safety, we don't want anybody getting hurt here. In the words of Doyle Gipson:
"I need this album.....FOR MY LIFE!!!"

Went back to the Windy Apple last night for a movie night screening of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot with Mr. David Gordon Green himself presiding. It was an awkward setting, bringing a dude in to talk about a movie that's not his. But a fun filled evening for all I'm sure, a good flick, an awesome director presenting it. What more could you want? It got me thinking about what I would choose if the IFC center asked me to present movie night. I'm sure it would be a hard choice, but since movie people invariably go back to the reliable standard of "movies they grew up on" I would have to say it would probably be a premium selection of the best action movies from the early to mid-90's. That's the shit I grew up on. You got your Passenger 57 and Demolition Man of course, but you'd have to throw in there Timecop, Sudden Death, Speed, True Lies, the Last Boy Scout, Die Hard (1,2,3), what else? oh yeah, The Crow, Judge Dredd, Darkman 2: The Return of Durant, and the list could go on forever I'm sure. I'd have to go with something like that, because I never got to see some of them on a big screen (mainly the Snipes movies believe it or not) and because what's more fun than hearing "So let me get this right? They defrosted you just so you could lasso my piddly ass?!?! DAMN YOU'D BEEN HAD!!!" on THX surround sound, nothing that's what. So keep that in mind IFC if you ever ask me to host movie night, I'm gonna stuff the ballot with thrills, chills, and spills. Oh yeah I'd need Universal Soldier in there as well, damn I forgot about that one. Van Damme and Lundgren are the Astaire/Rogers of our generation. Toodles.

"It's a funny thing about people, how everyone has a song.
And he sings it every morning, but we don't hear it until it's gone."

No comments: