Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I'm looking for a dare to be great situation.

It's been raining like this for three days...

Well, it hasn't been literally raining for three days but ever since I got home it's been gray round these parts. Raining off and on, the papes said it should be like this for the rest of the week. Hope it clears up soon, it's a shame to miss Avondale in the summer....

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about Nate's most recent post and it's kinda been bumming me out. Just because when I think of sad music I don't think of music that I listen to because I want to feel bad about myself or the world. If I wanted that I would just listen to songs about small animals being tortured, or children being kidnapped and murdered. I'm not making light of these things I'm just saying that is stuff I constitute as "sad." Whereas the music I like doesn't really feed into those kinds of emotions, it's more about letting someone in and feeding off of a human connection. It's like the paragraph I had up here a little while ago that some guy wrote about elliott smith and how his greatest talent was his ability to make his words universal, and how he was able to elicit the most sincere sympathy from total strangers because of the connection he forged. That's the reward i take away from sad music, it's the knowledge that you are now connected with someone and in a really small way you can understand a very small part about them. How can any music that encourages compassion and human connection be called suicide music. That just feels like a narrow minded label, I just wish people wouldn't cast judgement so easily. Me, I would never do that, except for those jam bands...oh man how they and all their fans piss me off. Damn hippies.

Yesterday I watched Ghost World, perhaps the only movie ever that makes me wish it was a physical being just so I could give it a hug, pat it on the back, and tell it that everything is going to be okay. What a lonely movie, everybody in it is surrounded by what their lack of connection with humanity. They're forced to wander an earth surrounded by strip-malls, 50's nostalgia cafe's, and their own minor existances. The movie is extremely funny though, don't get me wrong, how could you not love a movie with a line like this...

"Well, I have to admit that things are really starting to look up for me since my life turned to shit."

There may be plenty of reasons, come to think of it. But me, I love any kind of character who is completely willing to admit at the drop of a hat how miserable he/she is and make me laugh because of it.

Okay, I think that's all for now, I'll keep you all updated on my daily activities. Believe me, if they are as breathtaking for me on this end, then it's gotta be like exponentially more exciting for you dear readers. Hope you all have a lovely day.

I've been trying to fit this quote in for a while, I'm not sure if it works now but this entry has been quite scatter brained so why stop now? It's from a Red House Painters song called Cruiser.

"So drive down Beverly Drive
Where my room's lit up all night
I've been so lonely in this bed
It's good to sleep with you instead
It's good to talk all night instead"

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

I think only stupid people have good relationships.