Wednesday, April 27, 2005

things the grandchildren should know.

Sorry I've been so lazy with this thing, why didn't you guys tell me keeping up a blog was such hard work and that tasting things tasted so good. Anyway, got two finals coming up and I know bone will slap me for complaining about two, but I'm a film student, we lost the ability to take tests a long time ago. But I am in the process of studying for those right now, really, I'm reading a philosophy book as I type this, it's a new skill I developed, I believe I'll call it a fry-hole.

The new Eels album, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations is (and I'm not using this term lightly) a masterpiece. It's a brilliant summation of one of the greatest rock bands/creative minds in the music industry known simply as a Man Called E. Yes the ablum deals with growing up in a dysfunctional family, yes there is a lot of death and suicide talk in it but if that's all your getting out of it then you ain't listening. This is one of the most optimistic and uplifting albums I've ever heard, one review I read put it perfectly when they said anytime an album stops and makes you examine the way you are living your life, then it's something special. I'm biased of course because I could listen to the Eels do michael bolton covers and still think it's brilliant (hmm, how can I make that happen?) But I absoultely love this album, every day since I got it I wonder if I could fit it into the new day's listening cycle, the only problem is its 33 songs and I want to listen to it in it's entirety, so I'll have to work on that. There are no standout tracks because everyone is a standout track, if I knew E, I would be so proud of him and I hope this album brings him the critical kudos he sorely deserves, even though I know he doesn't care about that stuff. As DJ Killingspree pointed out:
One message board poster calls him the "Godfather to all the babyfreaks with broken hearts". Ask E himself for the answer and he'll shrug and say simply, "I like to rock".

So give it a listen and tell me what you think, or don't. Either way, it doesn't effect me, Bender.

Speaking of finals, I don't care about finals. Don't worry that doesn't mean I'm not studying, Mom. It's just so hard after you read stuff like this online on a daily basis.

"Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, fucking awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying."

You can go over to www.viewaskew.com to read the rest of his review. I didn't because it has spoilers so read at your own discretion.

Now these are strong words to make your head spin, now I should point out this was written by Kevin Smith,(who now officially double rules) and he has been a strong advocate of the prequel films ever since Menace came out. Regardless, this is exactly the kind of review I wanted from him and luckily we got it. If what he says is true, then I have a new determination to study my ass off and get through these stupid roadblocks on the way to some revenging on the siths part. I got my tickets for wednesday midnight at the Brandywine Town Center, an absolutely gorgeous theatre. I just want to see this movie. That's all.

Zack or "The Editor" pointed out that I missed the one month till date a week ago, yeah I did. And I'm a lazy lazy man. So allow me to remind you all of how close this movie actually is.

21 Days Until May 19th, 2005.
Gettin' closer. And Until then, the balcony is closed. (bonus points for who can tell me where that balcony bit is from, and by bonus points I mean nothing)

"i'll pick some daisies from the flower bed
of the galaxy theater while you clear your head
i thought some daisies might cheer you up"

2 comments:

Nathaniel said...

The fat man says the balcony is closed. I AM INTERFACE.

Anonymous said...

the futurama quotes are nice too. keep 'em coming.