Wednesday, November 08, 2006

We're not lost and I'm not embarrassed for us all...

I just want to preface this by warning I will not be revealing any new revelations about the election, pretty much everything I have to say has probably been said by somebody much much better than me, much. Check out Greenwald's blog, go over to Democracy Now! Crooks and Liar Kos AmericaBlog, I'm sure they have some good insight into the whole bloddy affair.

I gotta say it feels weird, Jarrad makes a good point that it's so hard to determine in politics whether one party really does have the right answer. Politics has a lot to do with personal decisions, morals, and conscience and it's hard to do that with party politics playing as big a role as they do. At the same time, I'm all with Nate's righteous anger (I'm sure Jarrad is too). I think change is a step in the right direction and I think the people who have led this country into the place it is in now deserve some kind of retribution, if losing the job's is the least that happens to them they should consider themselves lucky. And I think this speaks volumes to the will of the people and to the resounding rejection of fear mongering and severely anti-democratic measures perpetrated upon the citizens by the so called safe guards of democracy. To polish off an old chestnut, we're mad as hell and have voted against taking it anymore.

On the other hand, I'm cautiously optimistic. As much as I don't agree with Nader most of the time, he brought up a good point on Democracy Now when he said the democrats ran on a non-mandate, they had no plan. They fed off the anger towards the republican party. Do they have a plan? I know that's always been a joke against the democratic party, but now that they are the majority, it's not really a joke anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy, but what happens if the anger dies down in 2008 and people go back to the voting patterns they displayed 2 and 4 years ago? These are all hypothetical and maybe I've grown too disillusioned with the whole American political system to believe something good has happened. I don't want to be that guy and I don't think I am. I know there are severe, solid differences between the two parties, and I do think now we have people in office who will listen to our complaints rather than live in a bubble. We will continue to complain and we should still keep a vigilant eye, now maybe they will be heard. I guess what it comes down to is that politicians from both parties have very different policies, but they all play the politics game. They're like movie studios, they want to put asses in the seats. They want to sell as many tickets as possible. They cater to the lowest common denominator.

I guess now is the time to celebrate the fact that our electoral process has, for the first time, since I've been aware of politics (that began in 2000), has atually reflected the will of the people. And it was not hijacked by a bunch of republican cronies and stolen from us. We spoke, they heard, things changed. Sure it's not perfect but it's the best system we have...

...for now.

And with that I leave you with kevin devine to wrap things up.

"The tabloids tell us hate the rat who strikes those subways closed and puts you out
Forget those 50-hour tunnel weeks inhaling steel dust poison through his mouth
Well if he don't deserve a pension that makes his family feel secure
If we're now so disconnected it's our relfections we ignore
And if our constant choice is skimming past the writing on the wall
Oh whoa oh woh
Then I'm sad to say we're lost and I'm embarrassed for us all"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A couple of things here...

-Obviously this doesn't solve all our problems, it is only one step in the right direction.

-There are still a lot of problems with this two party system that need to get addressed.

-Nader needs to shut the fuck up and go away. Stop criticizing the democrats (where has he been the past 6 years other than election years? I never hear a peep from him about Bush) Have him focus on what really matters: the NBA western conference finals.

-The Democrats do have a plan, which was never reported on by the mainstream media, it's here.

-This victory also removed Rummy (not a peep from Nader about that either)

-Mattpondpa likes Kevin Devin : "As being only an audience participant at CMJ -- I have to say -- Kevin Devine is all that -- and more.. We're honestly lucky to be playing these shows with him."